This Topic builds upon the introduction to process chemistry in the pharmceutical industry and looks more in depth at process design and factors to be considered during the scale up of chemical reactions. To scale-up chemo-and bio-catalytic processes requires knowledge of a vast range of parameters:
- Chemical kinetics;
- Phase behaviours;
- Mass transfer rates;
- Reagents, impurities, intermediates, by-products and catalysts;
- Batch and flow methods;
- Separation, isolation and purification;
- Environmental considerations;
- Regulatory considerations;
- Energy and mass balances.
In this topic we will look at a number of case studies, that will begin to introduce some of these concepts and considerations in more detail, and will particularly focus on route selection, quality, safety and environmental aspects.